Germany - Income inequality revisited - December 31, 2017

Economist Thomas Piketty released a study on wage equality across the globe. His team found wages in Germany were as unequal as before the First World War. The top 10 percent earn 40 percent of overall income, the study found. This proportion has been growing since the middle of the 1990s, according to the German Institute for Economic Research (DIW), which studied the German data. The bottom 50 percent have lost out significantly in recent years in terms of their cut of the overall income. In the 1960s they earned a third of the total, now that has dropped to 17 percent.

Read on: in English …   in German …  

For more information, please contact the editor Jan Cremers or Nuria Ramos Martin, Amsterdam Institute for Advanced Labour Studies (AIAS) or the communications officer at the ETUI, Willy De Backer For previous issues of the Collective bargaining newsletter please visit Since June 2013 readers can consult our archive and search through all articles in our database at www.cbnarchive.euYou may find further information on the ETUI at, and on the AIAS at

© ETUI aisbl, Brussels 2016. All rights reserved. We encourage the distribution of this newsletter and of the information it contains, for non-commercial purposes and provided the source is credited. The ETUI is not responsible for the content of external internet sites. The ETUI is financially supported by the European Union. The European Union is not responsible for any use made of the information contained in this publication.
This email is sent from

News Archive