EU Sources - The garment value chain and labour standards - February 28, 2017

The livestreamed conference ‘Sustainability efforts in the garment value chain’ aimed to shed light on several questions. Only 22% of garments are produced in Europe, meaning that the remaining 78% are produced in countries such as China, Bangladesh, Turkey and India. Major fashion brands decide to delocalise their production to the global south to take advantage of the cheap labour force and weak monitoring of the respect of fundamental labour standards. In this context, experts highlighted two main elements: 1) fashion brands are not too concerned about what goes on in the supply chain and are not very amenable to initiatives aimed at improving transparency; 2) the lack of awareness among consumers.  

Livestreaming: https://webcast.ec.europa.eu/infopoint-lunchtime-conference-sustainability ... 

For more information, please contact the editor Jan Cremers, Amsterdam Institute for Advanced Labour Studies (AIAS) cbn-aias@uva.nl or the communications officer at the ETUI, Willy De Backer wdebacker@etui.org. For previous issues of the Collective bargaining newsletter please visit http://www.etui.org/E-Newsletters/Collective-bargaining-newsletter. Since June 2013 readers can consult our archive and search through all articles in our database at www.cbnarchive.euYou may find further information on the ETUI at www.etui.org, and on the AIAS at www.uva-aias.net.

© ETUI aisbl, Brussels 2016. All rights reserved. We encourage the distribution of this newsletter and of the information it contains, for non-commercial purposes and provided the source is credited. The ETUI is not responsible for the content of external internet sites. The ETUI is financially supported by the European Union. The European Union is not responsible for any use made of the information contained in this publication.
This email is sent from www.etui.org.


News Archive

Loading...